African grey ate a bit of choclate

by Martin
(Winsfor,Cheshire,UK)

Hi my little boy fed my African grey a malteaser, I managed to get it back off him but he ate one side of it, he seems fine at the moment but I'm worried as I know chocolate is toxic is there anything I can do?

Comments for African grey ate a bit of choclate

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 09, 2012
Chocolate
by: Ana

Maybe this would work. try give him a warm water to drink, so he could poop the chocolate out. My opinion maybe I'm wrong. Wait for others to see what they will advise. Or search online to find out.

Apr 08, 2012
African grey ate a bit of choclate
by: Linda

Keep an eye on him, and if you see ANYTHING out of the ordinary, get him to an Avian Vet as an emergency. Luckily enough the candy makers do not use as much chocolate as we chocolate lovers would like to think, so hopefully your bird has missed high level toxicity. Keep in mind that if there is any toxicity, it will take a while to show up in bird's system. The sugar is as dangerous as the chocolate and wreaks havoc on a bird's system.

Please keep your child away from bird if eating snacks because there are many ingredients in snack foods that can and do kill birds, dogs and cats.

Watch for any digestive upsets, nervous ticks or other signs of poisoning including lethargy because poisoning expresses in many and varied forms. I believe bird will be okay this time and not so lucky next time if there is one.

Thanks for writing and let us know how your bird is doing in a day or two.

Linda
Find an Avian Vet

Click here to add your own comments