Asparagus and cabbage, how long do toxic chemicals on last fruit trees

by carol

Hi, I accidentally ran across this site, IT IS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. I have a 6 1/2 (?) yr old lilac crowned Amazon, "Jack" - I rescued him from Humane Society; he had apparently been in 5 different homes in his 1st 5 1/2 yrs (?). While reading info on this site I ran across this:

(CAUTION: Never give your parrot alcohol, avocado or chocolate - these can kill your parrot! Also avoid asparagus, eggplant, cabbage, caffeine products, junk food, milk and cream, raw potato, and rhubarb (including the leaves).)

I have read about avocado, chocolate & rhubarb in various parrot books, but this is 1st time, I think, I have heard about the other items listed in that CAUTION. I grow asparagus and cabbage in my garden and have been giving Jack some of both since last yr. I will definitely not give him anymore, but have I harmed him? My puppy "Bentlee" a Yorkie loves raw asparagus also, will it hurt him?

Last question, which I have not been able to get an answer to is this. I have dwarf fruit trees in my little yard, along with various berries, veggies, etc. Up until about 3 or 4 yrs ago, I used various chemicals on my trees, not often, twice a yr at most, some yrs none (trees are no more than 8 yrs old) I have apple, pear, sweet cherry, peach, & nectarine, anyhow, are the branches & leaves toxic to Jack or do you think chemicals are gone? THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for your help and for this site. Carol

Comments for Asparagus and cabbage, how long do toxic chemicals on last fruit trees

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 22, 2009
Toxic items for birds
by: The Vet

I do not think that you have harmed him or your dog. The toxins in Cabbage and asparagus are not acute toxins (meaning fast-acting), they are toxins that cause damage over longer term, high dose intake. I recommend not feeding birds and reptiles kale, collards, cabbage, and other plants in that family. However, it does not have the same effect in people and other mammals as it does in birds and reptiles.

The other things in your list should also be avoided ? dairy products, caffeine, foods with sugar, salt or fat, i.e. junk food, and some add to that list onions and garlic. None of these foods are acutely toxic except avocado. Birds will die within minutes of ingesting avocado. However, these other foods cause long term kidney failure and damage to other organs.

Have you had a regular well-bird exam on your birds within the last year? This should be done every year. Including vaccinations. This will help to screen for problems and establish normal values for future comparison.

You should never give tree limbs and branches from outside. There is a potential for toxicity since we do not know in every case which are toxic to parrots and which ones are not. Also, there is the potential for parasites, bacteria, and other disease to be transmitted to your bird from these. Especially Chlamydophilla, and polyomavirus. You can vaccinate your bird for polyomavirus, but not these other diseases, and parasites such as mites should be avoided whenever possible.

Dr B

Jun 21, 2009
Toxic fruit
by: Linda

Hi Carol and a giant WELCOME to the site. I, like you, stumbled onto it some time ago, looking for Harrison's pellets for my Red-Lored Amazons. I love the Lilac Crowns by the way especially when they get mature and have all that lilac--just gorgeous!

I would not feed your dog anything that is considered toxic for birds. The birds are a wonderful barometer as to what is good, bad and indifferent in our world. Having birds around has made us more conscious of chemicals, cleaners, and even cooking utensils.Most veggies dogs eat need to be cooked although it is okay to give them a raw, well-washed carrot or a few pieces of squash. Mine chew on carrots like they are bones and end up cleaning their teeth as well as getting some Vitamin A and Beta Carotine in the process. Try and make sure all veggies are organically grown for all your pets.

I'm not sure how to answer about the fruit trees, so I suggest that when you take your bird in for a checkup, you talk with your Avian Vet about it. The usual rule of thumb is once sprayed, always bad for bird. The problem with the chemicals is that they tend to become a part of the trees. While it may not hurt us to eat the fruit, birds are so much smaller that it can hurt them.

I'd make an appointment with your Avian vet and take your bird in for a checkup to make sure he is free from internal/external parasites or infection. When birds change homes, their immune systems tend to become compromised and can get an infection. Birds don't show illness until they are very sick because they "cover it up". This is a natural tendency as in the wild, a sick bird is a dead bird one way or the other. So they hide any problems as long as they can. By the time we notice signs of illness, they are pretty far down. It takes longer and more money to bring a bird back up than it does to keep them in great shape. We take ours in at least once a year for routine tests, I guess you'd call it a "well-bird" visit, and sometimes vet finds a bacterial infection in early stages where it is easy to cure.

So, I recommend you speak with an Avian vet about your questions about the fruit trees as I don't want to move you in the wrong direction. Also, if you can grow either bush or pole beans in your area, the parrots love them raw, washed and right off the vine. The are very adept at pulling the "zippers" and taking the beans out one at a time--quite an accomplishment without hands! Be sure all veggies are not fertilized with commercial fertilizer and not dusted or sprayed with commercial insecticides. There are natural products for both, and a trip on the internet called Organic gardens, farms, fertilizers, pest control and such should help you out there.

Again, welcome, and it is a pleasure to meet another bird lover, especially, another Amazon lover!

Click here to add your own comments