Bird attacted to chemicals

by carol t

I have a pineapple green cheek conure who is 4 years old. Every chance he gets, he tries to eat soap and chemicals, such as cleanser. He is right on it when he sees me using cleaning solutions and is ready to jump into the kitchen sink when I have soap suds in there. Also, instead of beak grinding, he opens and closes his beak in rapid motions and rapidly moves his tongue around. Is this his way of relaxing in the evening? Thank you, Carol T

Comments for Bird attacted to chemicals

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 14, 2011
Bird attacted to chemicals
by: Linda

As Tracie said, there is NO reason for a bird to be allowed to be around chemicals to the point of trying to eat them. Would you allow a human child to do this? Probably not, so don't allow the bird to do it.

Tracie carries a non-toxic cleaner out here called Pet Focus , and it comes in a concentrated formula which is more economical though it does come in already mixed containers as well. This can be used to clean your entire house without worrying about poisoning your bird, kids or other pets and fish. It cannot be sprayed near the birds and can be sprayed on a clean cloth to wipedown cage and perches. Remove toys for cleaning. Read all instructions carefully so you understand what you are doing as it is safe if you do so.

You will not have a bird for long if you do not start locking him in his cage when you are cleaning. You'll also not have him long if you are using bleach, ammonia and other strong chemicals in your home. You cannot even use room deoderizers or candles and that includes the plug in kinds. Birds die from perfume, hairspray, nail polish and remover, all kinds of paints, glues and on and on. All these things are poison for humans and animals though their advertising can be enticing. It's up to us to make sure everything we use in our homes is safe for us, our kids, pets and the environment and the harsh cleaners are also taking a toll on you though you may attribute it to something else like a cold. Bleach and Ammonia fumes eat away at your nose and sinus tissues and will eventually cause severe problems that cannot fixed by running to a pill bottle.Pinesol cleaners are petroleum based and highly toxic to use and breathe.

Your bird was entrusted to you for you to care for and keep safe and healthy. Your commitment to him was to feed him nutrutious food made for birds, give him a large safe cage, natural branch wood perches and safe toys to play with. Yearly visits with an Avian Vet are also a must to keep birds healthy.

All any of this involves is thinking. Not being pushed into buying things because they look good on TV, but because you have actually thought about them and whether they are safe to have around you and your family.

Good luck and God Bless,

Feb 13, 2011
Bird eating soap etc.
by: Tracie

The problem is not with your bird being attracted to bad things, it is with the owner, you, letting your bird out of the cage when you are using chemicals. Also, some chemicals give off fumes that will kill your bird. Sometimes it takes repeated exposure to finally kill the brain cells, so your bird slowly dies.

Please do not clean with chemicals if at all possible. If you have to clean with chemicals, remover your bird from your house until the fumes are gone. Remember that you can be cleaning with lysol or bleach in your bathroom, and the fumes can get sucked into your heat/air system and blown into your bird room.

Only let your bird out when completely supervised by a responsible human. Make sure your bird has clipped wings so that it can not fly around the house. It may lick a metal or toxic item and die. It might land on a picture and cause it to fall on him when they both fall to the ground.

I could go on and on. I hope I have not offended you. This is serious business though. Please read our Non Toxic and Toxic for birds list.

Click here to add your own comments