bird feed

by Peace
(India)

yoyo - budgie

yoyo - budgie

Have a pair of budgies about 4years old, have now hatched two eggs. my birds love to eat carrots, cucumber, coriander,spinach and beans along with the seeds. Since they are also feeding the babies what else can i give them for the necessary vitamins and minerals that they and babies need

Comments for bird feed

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 28, 2013
Feeding budgies
by: The Avian Vet

Your birds should be eating approximately 70% pellets. This is the only way to guarantee that they are getting a complete and balanced diet. The remaining 30% can be the foods you mentioned in addition to many other healthy treats.

Switching Birds To Pellets article

Switching Budgies To Pellets article

Budgies can be very stubborn about switching. If so in your case, then try using Lafeber's Avi-cakes or Nutri-berries. Supplementing with vitamins is not effective and can cause overdosing and other issues.

Dr B

Feb 27, 2013
bird feed
by: Linda

They need to be eating at least 80% organic pelleted diet because seeds are almost valueless as for real nutrition. All seed diets do not have any quality proteins, vitamins or minersal and are mostly carbs and fats. Harrisons is the best on the market and found here though not sure if you can get it into your country. The Budgies eat the very small size of it if you can get it. If not, find something that is organic in your country that is high quality. Below is an article written by an Avian Vet on how to go about the change because it does take time:

Switching Birds To Pellets article

Do not feed much Spinich at all because too much of it interferes with Calcium absorption into the body.

Thanks for writing and for the sweet picture of your bird. Good luck with your new babies and be sure and separate them from the parents soon as they are weaned and eating on their own. They will need a separate cage from the parents as you do not want them breeding with parents or each other.

Linda

Click here to add your own comments