Blood around eye. African Timneh Gray

by Gary
(Suscon,Pa.)

25 yr old African Timneh Gray. Fell off perch looked like a seizure and had blood under skin white part of eye not the eye small feathers around eye. Was OK for a day and then happened again. He or She is eating , drinking same as always can't tell anything wrong. The blood around eye was gone next day.

Comments for Blood around eye. African Timneh Gray

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 21, 2010
Blood around AG eye
by: The Avian Vet

This is a serious condition and needs immediate medical attention. It could be caused by calcium deficiency or other nutritional problem. It could be infection such as a virus or bacteria. Toxins such as lead and zinc will also cause this. Get your bird in to see an avian specialist immediately.

Dr B

Find an Avian Vet

Oct 18, 2010
Blood around eye. African Timneh Gray
by: Linda

This is an emergency situation, and you need to immediately take your bird to an Avian Vet in your driving area to be evaluated. Seizures can be caused by many things and poisoning from something is one of them. It can also be caused from another physical problem, and either way, this is serious and cannot be left undiagnosed and untreated as your bird is in serious danger.

If you ever see blood or seizure activity with your bird, consider this an emergency situation that is life threatening. If it is cold where you are, be sure to cover travel cage completely for the trip from house to car, car to Avian Vet and so forth. Once in a warm car, front can be opened.

Be sure and tell the Avian Vet EVERYTHING about your bird's food and environment and habits. Sometimes birds who are allowed free flight around the house get poisoneed on any number of things because unsupervised birds are in danger of eating whatever they see. The other way for toxins to enter bird's body is through contaminated food or water. Make sure your pellets are organic as well as any veggies or fruit eaten. Have water tested for contaminents in the form of lead, chlorine, fluoride or other things in the water. Most tap water is not safe for birds to drink. We have an under the sink Culligan reverse osmosis system which we rent, and they maintain. Birds, dogs and humans drink from this water because our water IS contaminated with chlorine, fluoride and other horrors from being downstream from a toxic waste dump from earlier years.

Let us know what Avian Vet has to say, and if you have trouble finding one, there is a link on this site for help with that. Best way to find one is to use the yellow pages because sometimes regular dog and cat vets have an Avian Vet on staff, and ad will say that. Do not take bird to regular dog and cat vet as they are not licensed or trained in the treatment of birds and can kill them with wrong diagnosis and/or meds.

Linda

Click here to add your own comments