Concerned - bird swallowed metal

by Shannon

My green cheek conure swallowed a very tiny piece of metal off of my earring and i am concerned if he will be okay? Should i take him to the vet or should i wait to see if it will pass?

Comments for Concerned - bird swallowed metal

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 21, 2010
Bird swallowed metal
by: The Avian Vet

You should take him in for x-rays.

Dr B

Oct 18, 2010
Concerned - bird swallowed metal
by: Linda

You need to take bird to Avian Vet immediately because there are problems with this. One is if part was sharp, it can cut up the bird's digestive tract all the way down. If the metal is poison, your bird will be poisoned. Move quickly on this because a lot of earring parts are made with unsafe metals by Chinese manufacturers, and so this could be a very serious problem.Basically, ANY metal parts are going to be poison whether made in China or in the US.

Zinc is poison for birds as is lead and aluminum. The plating on metal is also poison, so run, don't walk to the Avian Vet in your area without any further delay. Avian Vet can do an xray and see where the part is and test blood to see if poisoning has occurred.

Let us know what Avian Vet has to say and be sure to take bird only to an Avian Vet as dog and cat vets will most likely kill your bird as they have no extra years of training in caring for exotic animals and birds.


Click here to add your own comments