confused about wood

Every other web site includeing YOUR OWN has fir,lilac,& pine on the NON-TOXIC list. if these are wrong then u may consider changeing your list IMEADIETLY as it is very misleading. The branches were gathered in the forest far from pesticides & did not cut any of the would be perch branches from trees that were alive. With no pitch or sap, shouldnt proper disenfecting & drying be safe? im confused cause i've spent countless hours looking this up & the only thing i WAS(lol) unsure of was the bark.

Comments for confused about wood

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 18, 2012
confused about wood
by: Anonymous

I went to the good doctor's site and read about his ideas on safe woods and found it very interesting. As you said, the pine, fir and lilac are on the safe list there and here. What I was attempting to get to is that pine and fir limbs with the sap still running are a risk. I know wild birds use pine and fir tree branches all the time and they are soft bill birds who are not going to be chewing on them or having to breathe the very strong fumes in a closed in space.

So, it appears the pine and fir is safe if the sap is down like taking cuttings in the winter where sap is down. I usually discourage people from using the evergreens because of the specifics in the matter. Namely fresh, sappy wood is not recommended.

If I confused you, I'm sorry about that, and please understand that when people hear about a safe wood, they sometimes do not consider whether the tree is sappy or not. I'm not sure the sap itself if poison, but I do know the vapors alone would have potential of hurting birds closed up with it.

If your wood is well dried out and clean, it will be okay. The other thing is use no chlorine bleach on your branches because it seeps into the actual wood, and bleach is poison for birds. Use a bird safe cleaner like Focus found here on any wood used for toys or perches. If you use hot water and an antibacterial soap, make sure it is scrubbed off during the rinsing.

Sorry for the confusion.
Linda

Dec 18, 2012
:)
by: Anonymous

i've enjoyed many of her responses to the variety of questions people have. for the saftey of benny & joon, my (bhc's)i'll be doing more reserch & take every precation. once again thank you for the info & heads up :) this site is awsome!

Dec 18, 2012
wood
by: Anonymous

i belive you. it was the response i got to the previous question. im new at these web sites, thank you for reafirming the safety of the woods. maybe the gal that awnserd my first question just wasnt as knowledgable on that subject. scared & confused me abit cause ive gotten great awnsers here before so when she said they were poison i got alarmed. once again, thank you. :)

Editor's note: Linda is very knowledgeable about many things, and maybe she has some links to somewhere that say they are toxic. Dr Vaden is sort of an expert, so I trust him, but you should trust the source you wish to trust.

Dec 18, 2012
Why confused about wood?
by: Tracie

If it is on my Toxic / Non-toxic for birds list (I am the site owner), then it should be safe if not treated with chemicals. I do not see a reason to remove them from my site unless you find an authoritive source that says otherwise. Check with Dr Vaden, if you have concerns, he is an expert.

Click here to add your own comments