Conure bird throwing food (John)

A Conure female throws food from her tray out inside of the cage, it's fruit shaped.... anything we can do? fyi she has layed a few eggs, could this be a problem .....

Comments for Conure bird throwing food (John)

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 25, 2012
Bird throwing food
by: Tracie

Conures and other birds seem to enjoy doing this, for sure. LOL We have some No Mess Feeders and other dishes that make it a little harder for them to do this, but nothing prevents them from picking things up and throwing it, sorry.

You might try some foraging toys so that they are working for their food. Maybe if they are working hard to get to the food, they will spend more time enjoying it instead of tossing it for fun.

Jun 25, 2012
Conure bird throwing food (John)
by: Linda

I'm not sure what you mean by "tray". Parrots like eating from bowls and stainless steel bowls are the best to keep clean. Any plastic dishes either for food or water get filthy, stained and bacteria imbeds itself into the material, so dishes are always dirty no matter how often they are washed. Stainless steel bowls will work for her. The tray may be too shallow, and that makes it too easy to throw food out.

The other issue is what you are feeding her and how much. All parrots need to be eating 80-85% of diet in organic pellets like Harrison's found here. The other 10-15% would be given as fruit and veggies in small amounts only a few times a week. There is NO need for supplementation with vitamins/minerals when feeding Harrisons. An all seed diet is slow starvation for a bird because of very poor, low quality proteins and no vitamins and minerals. Sprouted seeds give high quality protein and vitamins and minerals.You can find instructions on sprouting seeds on internet.

Here is link to article about changing birds from seeds to pellets written by an Avian Vet. Before any dietary changes can be made, bird has to be examined by an Avian Vet to make sure she is healthy enough for change. Changes in diet are stressful, and sick birds are not able to handle the additional stress.

Switching Birds To Pellets article

So, change dishes for stainless bowls if you are using plastic, take her to Avian Vet for an exam, and begin to change her over from a poor diet to a 100% healthy one if the bird is not already eating properly.

Thanks for writing,
Linda
Find an Avian Vet

Jun 25, 2012
Conure Throws Food
by: John Fahlsing

Sounds to me like temper mental food tossing, laid egg, funky mood? Is the bird eating anything? If so, no problem, you should hold off on what is being tossed and see if other food gets tossed out. Narrow down the selections and see whats what, But if the bird is eating then its temporary.

Jun 24, 2012
conures
by: Anonymous

LOL well to put it simply, she's a conure! Conures throw things, including food...

Get used to it because you won't stop it but it might help just a little if you give her small chew & foot toys to throw around, instead of food. You can also give her a wider bowl. Some parrots, including conures will toss any food out of their to get to something specific. A wider bowl means your conure is more likely to toss unwanted food to the edge of the bowl instead of out of the bowl.

And they will use food as a toy. KIt's fun for them. Get used to cleaning up the mess LOL

Click here to add your own comments

Full Spectrum Lighting

Shreddable Toys!

New Foraging Toys!

Pellets & Supplies