death in water dish

by samantha
(whitman,ma usa)

my conure died with her head in her water dish....anyone know what could have happened?

Comments for death in water dish

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 04, 2012
Bird found dead in water dish
by: Tracie

I am so sorry for your loss. Your bird was likely sick for a time, but they hide their symptoms well so you didn't notice. It likely was drinking when it died.

The only way to know the cause of death is for you to Find an Avian Vet to do a necropsy.

You may have fed your bird perfectly and not had anything toxic in your home, but just in case I will leave information for future readers.

There are MANY things in our homes that can kill our birds. Our Toxic / Non-toxic for birds list gives some of the more popular items. Even the metal on our ceiling fans can be toxic, so a bird safe room is a must if birds are allowed to fly around. Wing clipping is safest.

Our avian vet has had a practice for more than 30 years and teaches at a university. He is able to compare birds that eat cheap pellets, all seed diets, supposed healthy fresh food diets and those that eat Harrison's or Roudybush pellets as 80% of their diet.

Those on Harrison's pellets have the least health problems and live longer lives. We personally know of a Bourke's keet that is over 30 years old and still going strong on Harrison's pellets.

Click here to add your own comments