egg eating

i have ringneck pheasants and they are eating ther owe eggs how do i stop this

Comments for egg eating

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 21, 2015
botulism
by: Anonymous

If the bird died of botulism, it should be stated as such. This is much different than concocting a disease called "albumin poisoning". The latter makes readers panic that eggs are naturally poisonous.

Editor's note: I am not going to keep going back and forth here. She can call it what she wants. She said "It is a form of botchulism" she didn't say it WAS botulism. Please visit this site as a read contributor site, don't expect everyone to think and say things the way you want them to. Thanks!

Jan 21, 2015
rotten eggs
by: Anonymous

Then perhaps the diagnosis should involve a bacterial infection in the "rotten eggs". Her statement/her vet's statement implies all eggs are poisonous to birds because they all have albumen.

Editor's note: It wasn't a bacterial infection that could be treated. She mentions "I lost a parrot many years ago to albumin poisoning. She laid a clutch of eggs after nestbox was removed and died a slow and extremely horrifying death after eating an egg. It is a form of botchulism, and it attacks the central nervous system. Once it is in play, there is nothing to stop it, and bird dies a horrible death and in seizures. "

Jan 21, 2015
albumin poisoning?????
by: Anonymous

So you are telling us that if the parent bird that produced this albumin to enclose in the egg eats it - it will be toxic? And that the baby bird that absorbs this albumin during its development will also be poisoned ???

Editor's note: I believe Linda has had experience with birds that eat rotten eggs. Her avian vet diagnosed them with albumin poisoning. This is an open forum, you are welcome to believe what you want to believe.

Jan 21, 2015
Albumin poisoning - WHAT are you talking about?
by: Anonymous

Birds eat eggs all the time, other critters eat bird eggs all the time. HOW did you arrive at this diagnosis?

Mar 25, 2010
egg eating
by: Linda

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, SO PLEASE LISTEN CAREFULLY. IF YOU DON'T START REMOVING THE EGGS, YOUR BIRDS MAY DIE FROM ALBUMIN POISONING. Possibly your birds are hungry, so you need to approach the situation from there first. Make sure what they are eating is high quality and that there is enough of it to keep them full. This sounds like hunger or a lack of interest in raising babies.

The next thing on the list is a trip to an Avian Vet to make sure they are both healthy because unfertile eggs means one of two things: One, they are sick or malnourished and unable to breed properly to fertilize the eggs, or they are too young to be breeding. If they use a nestbox, remove it. If they don't separate the pair until she stops laying eggs. THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE NOW, AND YOU STILL NEED TO TAKE BOTH OF THEM TO AN AVIAN VET FOR A CHECKUP TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO INFECTIONS. Also have vet do some bloodwork on both to make sure there are no deficiences showing up. I'm not sure what Pheasants are supposed to eat, and make sure that whatever it is is high quality and NOT CHEAP. We don't get good nutrition, for our birds, cheap.

The egg eating is dangerous, and I suggest you do what you can now to make sure this is stopped. Throw away eggs as soon as they are laid, and ask the Avian vet for some assistance if it does not stop. I lost a parrot many years ago to albumin poisoning. She laid a clutch of eggs after nestbox was removed and died a slow and extremely horrifying death after eating an egg. It is a form of botchulism, and it attacks the central nervous system. Once it is in play, there is nothing to stop it, and bird dies a horrible death and in seizures. Back in the day, we did not have Avian vets, but I don't think there is anything that will reverse this, and I could be wrong about that. Please don't wait around to see.

Thanks for writing, and let us know what the Avian Vet finds and advises you to do.

Linda

Click here to add your own comments