feathers shabby

by james

my african grey congo is a year one and some of her feathers on her right wing, back and left wing are becoming scaggily also some of her red tail feathers are missing can you help?

Comments for feathers shabby

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 02, 2011
feathers shabby
by: Linda

Around February/March/April time frame, parrots in the US are getting ready to molt, so this may be what's happening here. Birds molt twice a year, in the early Spring and at the end of Summer.

If she has not been examined by an Avian Vet in the last year, now is the time to make sure all is well physically with her. Diet also is the major issue with good skin and feather condition. Parrots need to be eating 80% in organic pellets like Harrisons found here and the other 15-20% in organic fruit/veggies which means small amounts a few times a week. Harrisons also makes a really nutritious, bird-tasty Bird Bread mix which is also found here and can help with the changeover from seed to pellets. Be sure and get Sunshine Factor's organic Red Palm Oil for the oil mix calls for and do not use any partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oil as they are very dangerous for human and animal health. The Red Palm Oil is cold-pressed and has to be placed into warm water in the bottle to liquify it so you can put it into the bread mix. All organic foods have to be refrigerated. Here is a link on how to go about the change from seeds or inferior pellets to a high quality pellet written by an avian vet. Make NO changes in diet until Avian Vet has examined your bird to make sure she is healthy.
Switching Birds to Pellets article

Thanks for writing,

Click here to add your own comments