green cheek eye area red

today my conures eyes are red in the lower white parts. He is not showing any signs of discomfort, and there was nothing there yesterday. could id be alergies? Do birds get alergies?

Comments for green cheek eye area red

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 05, 2010
green cheek eye area red
by: Linda

No, birds do not normally get allergies, though they will show symptoms of there being a toxin present in their environment. If you are not aware of all the toxins that can be in a home, then you need to do some study using the internet. Hairspray is toxic, fingernail polish and remover are toxic. Scented candles or the kind that plug into the wall are toxic as is Febreeze and any other room freshener/deoderizer. All "under pressure" cans are toxic for birds and cannot be used inside the house. Most plants with a few exceptions are toxic for birds, and Tracie has a list of toxic and non-toxic plants and trees on this site.

Any kind of glue is toxic to birds, and perfume will outright kill them. This includes scented dryer sheets and heavily scented softener products as well. Cooking smells can be toxic as the fumes can cause reactions like what is happening with his eyes. Never have a bird near the kitchen when cooking is going on, and always watch teflon cookware very carefully as teflon is toxic if allowed to burn with no water or oil in it. Homes are potentially very dangerous places. Also, never use bleach around the bird nor any ammonia or pine sol products either. Tracie has a safe cleaner here, and even it cannot be sprayed on cage with birds present because of risk of it getting into their eyes or mouths. If you have not already done so, now is the time to get all toxins cleaned out of house and start using safe products to have around birds. I never realized how dangerous my home was until I had my first bird many years ago. Birds help us to understand how many things we can live without and how much safer our homes can be without all those toxic things.

Take your bird to an Avian Vet as soon as you can get an appointment because this symptom also is one of the first signs of infection and will have to be diagnosed and treated by a licensed, trained Avian Vet and NOT a dog and cat vet as they will do nothing except make it worse.Please take that advice seriously because part of having pets is taking them to the proper doctors when they need it.

Thanks for writing,
Linda

Click here to add your own comments