Harmones in BF Amazon Parrots

by Norma Branchaud

I would appreciate your help, How long does harmone stimulation last in Blue Font Amazone parrots??

I love petting and he loves me to do so but lately it is impossible. thanks

Comments for Harmones in BF Amazon Parrots

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 07, 2012
Harmones in BF Amazon Parrots
by: Linda

Without more information, it is impossible to answer your question. We need to know how old this bird is and whether it is a male or female. Amazons do not sexually mature until around 4-6 years' old and I've had many Amazons and never had problems like you are describing.

Hormonal parrots are as much myth as truth, so let us know how old bird is, what your birds eats and the last time bird was examined by an Avian Vet.Sometimes new behaviors or excessive behaviors indicate an illness, so bird will have to be examined by an avian vet only in your area.

The wrong kinds of foods can make any parrot hyperactive meaning they are nervous and not as relaxed as they could be. All parrots need to be eating 80-85% organic pelleted diet like Harrisons found here. The other 10-15% can be fed in the dark green, orange and yellow veggies which means small amounts a few times a week. If your bird is eating all seed diet, then it is getting too many carbs and fats. If it is eating human table food, it will get sick. If you are feeding fat ridden nuts this is only adding to the problem of carbs and fats mostly fats.The organic pellets are 100% nutrition made for a parrot and will keep your bird healthy, happy and fairly calm. Blue Fronts are noted for being the quieter Amazons so something is wrong here.

Changing from seeds to pellets takes time, and below is a link to article written by Avian Vet on how to go about the change. We recommend all birds be examined by avian vet before making any dietary changes because birds harboring infections or other physical issues cannot take the stress of dietary changes.

Switching Birds To Pellets article

So write back in with more information, and if you do not know sex of your bird, then avian vet can take a little blood or tissue and have a DNA test run. If your bird is very young, this is not hormonal at all and could be poor diet or too much stimulation.

We'll await your reply,

Click here to add your own comments