Household Items

by Jackie
(Edmonton, AB, Canada)

In the list of Household Items that are toxic... does it mean the smells are toxic or is it if the bird has contact with the household item that it is toxic????

Comments for Household Items

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 21, 2010
Household Items
by: Linda

It means that if the items are used anywhere in the house, they are toxic for your bird. The list is very long and a few items are room deoderizers, scented candles, finger nail polish/remover, glue, smoke of any kind even from a fireplace or wood stove, perfume and aftershave. Cleaning products that are toxic for them are bleach, ammonia, anything containing those items as well. Cans that are under pressure cannot be sprayed in the house where birds live. Any dishes that have to have Pam sprayed in them need to be taken outside, paint is also highly toxic, even or especially Latex paint. If painting in house, birds have to be removed for up to a month until paint can dry and fully gas out. This also includes some craft paints. If there is a smell, it will most likely be toxic to birds. Tracie carries Mango by Pet Focus out here and if used according to directions, is completely safe to use for cleaning your entire house. DO NOT, OF COURSE, SPRAY DIRECTLY ON BIRDS OR ON THEIR CAGE OR TOYS OR PERCHES WHILE BIRDS ARE IN THE CAGE. Follow the directions, and product is safe to use. We buy the concentrate which is mixed 1 ounce to a gallon of water. Make sure it is not sprayed near birds as in take grates, pans outside or in another room where you are not in direct contact with birds. Fumes from any cleaner can hurt birds as they have very tiny lungs and are very sensitive to all chemicals.

So, in answer to your question, it is the fumes from these products as well as orally ingesting that is dangerous. Just like if you have a baby in the house--you have to abstain from using dangerous chemicals for fear of either ingestion or fumes.
Linda

Click here to add your own comments