How careful do I need to be about nonstick pan fumes?

by Erin
(Boston)

Hi Avian Vet,

I'm one of those bird owners that probably errs on the side of overly cautious- I don't take any chances with my lovebird. I'm wondering about the use of nonstick cookware. I personally don't use it, but I've just moved in with a roommate who does. If my bird stays in another room with the door shut and windows cracked, do I need to be concerned? If the pans are overheated and do release a toxin, how potent is it? Thanks for your help.

Comments for How careful do I need to be about nonstick pan fumes?

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 05, 2010
Teflon dangers for birds
by: The Avian Vet

It is potent enough that birds do not survive exposure, even at low levels. Having her in a different room that is ventilated is better but does not guarantee her safety. The best thing to do is request that your roommate not use those pans.

Dr B

Oct 04, 2010
Teflon pans and birds
by: Tracie

I would not take the chance, because just one time someone forgets and fumes pass through a vent etc. and your bird may die.

Dr B will answer this within a couple of days with his opinion.

Click here to add your own comments