Itching head and feet

I have a Hanhs Macaw that is always itching his face and head and also chewing on his feet. Is it a diet thing or something I should see a vet for?

Comments for Itching head and feet

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 03, 2011
Bird itching
by: Tracie

It is possible it diet related, but you need to Find an Avian Vet to examine your bird in person to find out. Dr B can not tell without examining your bird.

If you are feeding your bird 80% organic pellets like Harrison's then just feed one kind of treat for the other 20% and see if the itching goes away.

The chewing of the feet is often a sign of bacterial infection, so do not delay in taking your bird in for an exam. Go ahead and make the appointment, even if you are going to try to eliminate anything that could be a potential allergen.

Click here to add your own comments