Lafeber's Pellet-Berries

Are these types of pellets healthy for my cockatiel?

Comments for Lafeber's Pellet-Berries

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 26, 2011
Lafeber's Pellet-Berries
by: Linda

The Lafaeber's products contain a product called Propylene Glycol which is a binder used in making lipsticks, face creams and body creams and lotions. This chemical tastes sweet like sugar and birds become addicted to these products to the point where they refuse to eat healthy organic pellets. This chemical helps the Lafaeber products stick together. Read your ingredients, and you will see this chemical unless they've removed it because of losing business. Always read labels when buying your bird's foods because I've even seen Ethoxyquin in some bird foods which is used in the rubber item making process. Very dangerous chemical for a bird or dog to be eating.

My suggestion is you get some organic pellets like Harrison's found here and also get their Bird Bread Mixes along with the organic Red Palm Oil by Sunshine Factor as the oil it calls for. The bread stores in freezer for 6 months and in refrigerator for 5 days. I bake it up, cut it up when cool and put in freezer bags and take out what I need. The bread mix will help with changing over to the Harrisons pellets and without any extra additions to the mix, can be up to 30% of the diet. In other words, this is a healthy treat instead of a chemical laden one and prepares the bird for eating the pellets.

Linda

Dec 26, 2011
Lafeber's berries
by: The Avian Vet and Tracie

I, Tracie, am posting what Dr B has answered before on this subject. He feels these are only good as a treat, and they should be very limited.

"It is a poor diet, these are only treats and should make up no more than 20% of her diet. The other 80% should be a good quality pellet such as Harrison's or Roudybush. Pellets are the only way to guarantee that she has a complete balanced diet."

Click here to add your own comments