Medication overdose?

by Leigh-Anne
(Costa Mesa, CA, USA)

Pet sitters gave my green Cheek 10x the amount of baytril and anti inflammatories he was supposed to get for the week I was out of town. He seems ok for now. What do I do?

Comments for Medication overdose?

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 19, 2011
medication overdose
by: Anonymous

I beg to differ with Linda. One of my birds was poisoned by someone else also and the first thing I did was give him milk thistle. THIS saved his life, according to an AVIAN vet. If we wouldn't have given this to him to detox him, he would have died.

Milk thistle will NOT hurt him. I have had experience with this. I am not an avian vet, only going by my own experiences!!!

Nov 19, 2011
Bird overdosed
by: The Avian Vet

He should be OK. These drugs are safe when over dosed. The anti inflammatory could cause bleeding and ulceration of the stomach. Let your vet know what happened, have him examined, and watch his droppings for signs of blood.

Dr B

Nov 17, 2011
Medication overdose?
by: Linda

Give your bird NOTHING until you have taken it to the Avian Vet. Your bird's liver is being overtaxed to the point of death by poisoning, and his kidneys are also compromised at this point. Please get him to avian vet quickly and tell them what all he has had given to him while you were away.

Do not give any home remedies, and the milk thistle is under this heading. Your bird has had enough medications of all kinds to this point. Allow avian vet to detox him with a correct dosage of whatever it is. The previous writer did not even give you dosage amount, and this is very dangerous. Herbs are medicines, and a bird or human can easily be overdosed using them like this. Herbs can be very good for some things, and always have a Naturopathic doctor or a licensed and trained herbalist prescribe meds for you. For your bird, only let an avian vet do the prescribing for your bird. I hope he's going to be okay.

Never use that pet sitter again. Make sure next sitter has references out the roof, and if you have to, board your bird with an Avian Vet to make sure they are not killed with wrong meds and other careless actions.

Linda

Nov 17, 2011
medication overdose
by: Anonymous

I would contact your avian vet but in the meantime, I wouldn't give your bird anymore baytril. Crush up some milk thistle and mix it with water and give the bird a few drops to detox him.

Be sure to contact your avian vet asap.

Click here to add your own comments