My African Grey Baby overfed

by Samuel

My african grey baby is 6 weeks old and today, becuase of my stupidity i fed him 35cc. He even vomiting when i picked him up. When he vomited there was a woodchip in it.
Will I have a problem in the future with this. Because it did only happend once.

Comments for My African Grey Baby overfed

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 15, 2011
My African Grey Baby overfed
by: Linda

Overfeeding is the least of your worries. The wood chip mess is what you need to worry about. Never, ever put wood chips in a nest box or in any container where baby birds are kept as they will try and eat them. These chips will kill your baby as surely as any poison ever will. Use only unprinted newspaper found at your local newspaper offices for birds cage bottoms, nest boxes or container holding baby birds for handfeeding. The unprinted newspaper is clean and if a bit is eaten will move right on through the system unlike wood.

Your baby needs to be immediately examined by an Avian Vet to make sure he is okay. If the chips get past the crop, they can and do cause an intestinal block that has to be removed with surgery. They will cut up and sour the crop, so have avian vet check him out thoroughly. I hope all is well.

Let us know what avian vet has to say.


Click here to add your own comments