My bird just chewed on a pen, will he be okay?

by Alana

My Umbrella Cockatoo had some purple residue on the bottom of his beak, and after searching his cage, I found a torn apart pen at the bottom of his cage. He only chewed a bit of it, the bit with the tip, but the tip is missing, and he got a bit of ink in his beak. Will he be okay?

Comments for My bird just chewed on a pen, will he be okay?

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 29, 2017
my bird ate my Bic pen
by: Anonymous

Hi everyone I was wondering when I was paying my bills my Indian ringneck parrott ate the tip of my Bic blue pen and sallowed it can he die can someone please help me thanking you in advance

Mar 05, 2012
by: Anonymous

He's just like a writer, you know chew some eraser chew some pen

Feb 27, 2012
Bird chewed ink pen
by: The Avian Vet

Ink is generally non-toxic. However, you may be concerned that he actually swallow part of the pen. I recommend that you have x-rays done and a good physical exam by an avian veterinarian. It may also be necessary to provide activated charcoal in case the ink is not safe.

Find an Avian Vet
Dr B

Feb 26, 2012
oh no :(
by: Hannah S.

Look at the pin and see what name brand it is. Look it up to see if it is toxic. If not I would keep a close eye on him the next 3 days if he acts normal i wouldn't worry about it. But if toxic I strongly advise you to seek medical attention for him A.S.A.P. If the pen claims to be non toxic but he seems less active or more tired or anything like that I'd take him to the vet just to be sure everything is ok. And if you have the money and don't want to take a chance even if he seems to be fine then by all means take him to the vet. Good luck! I hope he is ok :/

Feb 26, 2012
My bird just chewed on a pen, will he be okay?
by: Linda

You need to get him to an Avian Vet quickly. If he swallowed any of the plastic, he will not be able to digest it, and can die.

Keep these kinds of things away from bird. When he is out of cage, make sure someone is with him all the time. For now, have him examined because the plastic cannot be digested and will cut him up inside plus the ink is also toxic.

This is a direct result of bird not being properly supervised when out of cage. They are like little children and have to be watched all the time when outside of cages.


Click here to add your own comments