my parakeet hurt his tongue

My parakeets fought And the female parakeet bit the males tongue An he's unable to eat because of the sore what should I do?

Comments for my parakeet hurt his tongue

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 24, 2011
my parakeet hurt his tongue
by: Linda

As Tracie said, this is a time for taking your bird to an Avian Vet. It is also time to get some baby parrot handfeeding formula and 5-10cc syringes so you can handfeed this bird until he is able to eat again. He will die from lack of food and water, and with his small size it won't take long.

Make sure he NEVER goes back into the cage with the female because she will end up killing him. She may have already done that with this injury.

Tracie carries the baby parrot handfeeding formula here, but it would be better to get it in the UK. Call around to the pet stores who carry birds and find some. Rowdy Bush is good and you can view the different kinds here before buying. A small 5-10cc syringe is large enough for your parakeet, and he is not going to like this type of feeding, so make sure you have someone to help you. They can hold the bird's body while you put your thumb and forefinger gently on each side of head at the jaws to keep head still. Do that with your left hand and use right hand to put food into mouth. You may be able to do it alone and will just have to see. Bird has to be still, so Be very careful here because a fighting bird can get food into their windpipe, and this will cause pneumonia and kill the bird. Put a bit of food in at a time starting out with a 5-10cc syringe. Your vet and some drugstores carry the small syringes, and you may need a the smaller 5cc one since his mouth is so small. He will need to be fed enough to fill his crop a few times a day. You can judge when it is time for another feed by how flat his crop is. I'd say in the early am, around noon to 1pm and again before he goes to bed. Birds do not need to be fed during the night unless they are days old babies. Do not overfeed, just make sure you get enough in at each feeding. Your Avian Vet can tell you exactly how much and how often for your size bird.

It is an emergency situation that you start getting food into him. Don't worry about extra water as the water in the food will sustain him until he can eat. He will also get an infection from this attack, so do not wait to take to Avian Vet. You can get the proper size syringe from them, and I cannot stress enough how much of an emergency this has become.

Linda

Jan 24, 2011
Parakeet can't eat
by: Tracie

First, if you haven't done so, separate the birds.

Next, take your bird to an avian vet right away. Dr B can not help you, because he can't examine your bird or prescribe anything. Also, it may be up to a week before he responds and your bird may be dead by then.

Click here to add your own comments