Non-stick Cookware?

by Carlie
(Southern California)

My sister recently bought two mini muffin pans that are non-stick and I have heard that they can kill birds when over heated. Approximately what temperature must the non-stick cookware be heated at to avoid creating toxic fumes?

My birds are in the kitchen and my house has an "open roof" and there are no door dividing any of the rooms in the first floor so its very open. If I move my birds outside on the patio or in another room can the fumes still reach them and kill my lovebirds? I was planning to make rowdies with the pans but I'm not sure if I should use or return the pans?

Comments for Non-stick Cookware?

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 06, 2012
muffin pans
by: Anonymous

If your birds are out of the kitchen, it would be a lot better yes.

Non stick is highly toxic only if it is severely burnt. It has to reach above 300 & something Celsius?? I think to start burning & releasing the toxins.

You are talking about muffin pans as well, not fry pans with oil on direct flames, so the likely hood of the burning is a lot less being a muffin pan in the oven, but of course not impossible.

If you're not sure simply take them back.

BTW, I don't have any non stick cookware in my house. I have very expensive stainless steel pots & pans & even they can burn if left unattended & give of fumes & smoke, so your birds should never live in the kitchen.

Mar 06, 2012
Non-stick cookware kills birds
by: Tracie

Personally, I would return the pans. It doesn't matter what temperature is too hot, because one time of forgetting and burning something will be all it takes. Purchase some stainless muffin tins instead.

Highlights from a good article at http://www.birdsandmore.com/margaret.html:

...polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), which comes under the brand names, TEFLON, SUPRA, SILVERSTONE, and many others. Basically, anything that has a non-stick surface can kill your bird.... Also, after "Teflon" or other non-stick surfaces are scratched or tainted in any way, they are susceptible to breakdown of the acid and gases, no matter the temperatures.

Click here to add your own comments