Not a question, just my story...Sick Lorikeet
Buddy, Rainbow Lorikeet, about 3 years ago.
I just hope that one person reads this and doesn't make the same mistakes as me.
I had to take Buddy my Rainbow lorikeet to the Vet yesterday. I have him home with me now, but I think I'm going to lose him.
These past few weeks I have been so focused on work and getting this stupid music duo happening, and I just haven't been paying my little Buddy the attention I should have. He's going to die because I am colour-blind, and because I educated myself on caring and raising him on the internet and not taking him to a Vet when I first got him. For weeks maybe even months his stool has not been good and I had no idea. Because of my colour-blindness, I had no idea. Buddy had no hope at all of me seeing the blood in his stool.
Last weekend I had Buddy out of his cage all day Saturday and all day Sunday but in hindsight he only sat up on the curtain rod and was quiet. I thought nothing of it. It was nice that he was quiet for a change so that's why he was out of the cage all day, both days. Monday and Tuesday evenings he was still quiet but I didn't click. Too rapped up in trying to get back playing music I just wasn't thinking of him at all. It wasn't until on Tuesday night when Mum said that he had been absolutely quiet during the day when he usually screams his head off, I knew something was wrong. I just didn't know how bad he was. How bad his health had become through years of me doing the wrong thing. I thought I was a good Dad.
"Discharge Information for Buddy who has been treated for Liver failure".
That's what my $800 piece of paper from the Surgery says. The money does not matter.
"I fear Buddy is end stage", in the comments section. I hate this piece of paper.
But this end stage term was used within 2 minutes of first sitting down with the Doctor and my heart just hit the floor. I guess he could just tell by looking at him. I guess I was non the wiser. Buddy had to stay overnight for tests, something else I wasn't prepared for. The Vet, who I have nothing but admiration and praise for, well he said to me that afternoon that it was 50 50 as to whether Buddy would recover from this. I think I cried all the way home, a 90 minute drive.
So for 24 hours I just couldn't cope. I went to work but came home at lunchtime because I just could not stop bursting into tears every 10 minutes. So I came home and sat for an agonizing 2 hrs waiting for the Vet to call with the test results. Just sitting waiting crying and looking at the clock. Then the call came.
I do not blame the Vet for getting my hopes up. After seeing all the test results he started suspecting a partial blockage was the problem. Liquid was passing easily but not the faeces, and the blood was from whatever it was blocking the passage rubbing against the wall and causing bleeding. So he talked about an X-ray to look for swelling and then Barium liquid and pellets. The liquid would pass through but the pellets would get stuck, pin-pointing the location and enabling him to operate and fix it. It was an incredible relief to know that we could treat him and cure him. The conversation ended and he was going to call back in 30 minutes with the results from the X-ray and Barium.
Oh my what a weight was lifted off me. Finally, no uncontrollable urge to cry. 40 minutes of joy and relief but it didn't last. The Vet called and he said there is no blockage, but now he definitely knows what is wrong.
Buddy's Liver is 1/5 the size it should be. And that 1/5 is scarred and not functioning very well at all. His condition is terminal. His heart has a murmur also, because of the Liver problems. As well as an unknown pathology that would need a biopsy to diagnose, but there just isn't enough of his Liver to risk
taking for the test.
I have Buddy at home with me now, he's asleep in his cage. I hope he seems a little perkier tomorrow. All I can do is make sure he eats as much as possible, has little stress but normal sort of play exercise. He has been given a sort of vitamin booster that will last 4 weeks then I'll take him back for another, and another.
And hopefully another, and another, another, you get the picture.
Three Meds, Baytril antibiotic for 5 days, Liver Support Formula for the rest of his life and also Colgout. But I can't remember what this is for, I think another vitamin supplement or something to take the strain off his Liver. And, what I should have done years ago, a change of diet. So, a monthly visit to the Surgery, medication for the rest of his life, and diet to keep him alive, for as long
as it works.
I asked how long? Would this give him a few years? Months. Was the answer.
I have to do my best to be optimistic. Buddy is all I have.
The Vet will call me on Monday to see what Buddy's progress is. I hope it's a positive converstion about Buddy being a little more active, has an appetite and is more his usual annoying self, lol. I'll do whatever needs to be done. I do not think I will cope losing him. Yesterday and this morning when it was 50 50 whether he would live or die I have been just a blubbering mess. And with all the other stress and problems I have, I fear a nervous breakdown. Every time I think of putting him to sleep, euthanasia, I just break down and sob. He might last a month maybe a number of months. I want to think a couple of years. But I know eventually we'll, Buddy and me, will have to take that final drive to the other side of town to the Surgery. I just dread the return journey.
If you read this, please I beg, not only love and care for but pay extra attention to their health even if they look healthy. Take special care of your special feathered friend, your little dinosaur, YOUR special Buddy.