parakeet damages from acetylene fumes

We have a 4 year old parakeet. An air conditioning crew came in using an acetylene torch and now a week later our parakeet is molting and is having major problems standing.

Comments for parakeet damages from acetylene fumes

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 23, 2012
Acetylene fumes
by: The Avian Vet

I do not think that the fumes were the problem. Although the fumes are not healthy, if they were going to cause a problem, you would have seen it sooner than a week later. I would assume first that your bird is ill from something else and take him in to see an avian veterinarian.

Dr B
Find an Avian Vet

Sep 23, 2012
parakeet damages from acetylene fumes
by: Linda

Anytime you are having any household repairs done, birds have to be moved out and boarded somewhere as they are very sensitive to all kimds of chemicals. Your bird is very sick, and you will need to find an Avian Vet in your are quickly. Your bird has been poisoned, and an avian vet may be able to detox him or at the very least you can have him humanely put to sleep. He will not make it for sure if you do nothing.

Keep us posted and remember that household repairs using paint, stain, glue or torches is poison to birds, and they have to be boarded out or risk death. Latex paint kills them in a very short time as it is highly toxic while wet. It takes over a month for paint to gas out before it's safe for bird to come home. The torch exuded extremely toxic fumes, and bird has been poisoned.

Linda

Click here to add your own comments