Pin-Headed Green Cheeked Conure

by Rosalie

My 11 year-old Green Cheeked Conure has pretty much always had pin feathers all over her head. Sometimes more than others, but they never seem to completely go away.

Is this diet related, or does she need to bathe more often? Does it mean her feathers are dry? I feed her Pretty Bird pellets and some fruits and veggies. Sunflower or millet seeds occasionally.
She seems healthy and happy but the pins on her head make her look gawky. Our other Green Cheek on the same diet never had this problem and his feathers were always fluffy and healthy-looking. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments for Pin-Headed Green Cheeked Conure

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 06, 2013
Bird with constant pin feathers
by: The Avian Vet

First I think diet is a huge factor. Pretty bird is not a good of diet as other pellets. I recommend Harrison's, you will see a difference feeding it. Infrequent bathing and low humidity are contributing factors. She could have a metabolic problem, a thyroid problem or other issue. I recommend that you have her examined by an avian veterinarian.

Dr B
Please use this Find an Avian Vet link to find an avian vet for your bird.

Oct 13, 2012
Bird that always has pin feathers
by: Tracie

I have forwarded your question to Dr B, our avian vet.

I know he will tell you that the diet you have for your bird is not healthy, but I don't know what he will say about the bird always having pin feathers.

Your bird should be eating a high quality pellet diet like Harrison's or Roudybush pellets for 80% of it's diet. The other 20% should be healthy treats.

Cheap pellets usually have dyes, fillers, chemicals and sugar that can cause all kinds of health problems.

Click here to add your own comments