salt n poisons

by ANGEL
(BAKERSFIELD CA)

i was just on this page i was concern about the table scraps n salt ive been feeding my nanday. I just got my bird a nanday. I wasnt aware of salt being poisen to them. so ive been feeding him table scraps and salty foods. im concern is he gonna b okay, is there anything i can do to flush the toxins out?

Comments for salt n poisons

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 15, 2011
Salt is toxic to birds
by: The Avian Vet

You should have your bird examined by an avian veterinarian. Salt is toxic and you should avoid feeding it. He can eat table foods, but his diet should be 80% pellets, like Harrison's and only 20% treats. Treats are any food that is not a pellets.

Find an Avian Vet
Dr B

Jun 14, 2011
salt n poisons
by: Linda

The Avian Vet will answer this for you, and speaking from personal experience, salt will kill your bird as will processed sugar.

Never feed anything with table salt in it or sugar. Salt will cause kidney failure and sugar in large enough quantities or over a period of time will simply kill them as their bodies cannot process either salt or sugar. Learning about the dangerous items that birds cannot have is part of studying about birds before you get one or shortly after. Your bird needs to be examined by an avian vet to see what kind of shape kidneys are in from all the salt he's eaten. I hope all is well.

Good Luck,
Linda

Click here to add your own comments