strange colored feathers

by Ashley McFarland
(San Jose, CA)

rosie in 2009 looking very sad and tons of yellowish color on her

rosie in 2009 looking very sad and tons of yellowish color on her

rosie in 2009 looking very sad and tons of yellowish color on her
recent photo showing the yellow on her wings next to her new feathers
she's active and playful
Galah Rosie now compared to the first photo, she looks so beautiful now

Hi, my galah was rescued about 4 years ago by my friends from a lady giving her away saying her husband was going to kill her. Her gray feathers where really yellowish in color and she was under weight.

It's now been 4 years and because of my friends declining health she was given to me. I've been feeding her a much healthier diet consisting of natural uncolored pellets and fresh and prepared foods. she used to get mostly sun flower seeds, oatmeal, millet, noodles, jelly beans and the occasional sip of coffee!!

With each molted feather they come in more beautiful and vibrant, but I'm worried about the fact her feathers used to be that color. She also doesn't have very much feather dust. She isn't a normal morph galah though and after talking to other owners of the dark morph we came to the conclusion that they have less dust than a normal galah.

I'm a full time university student living at home with parents, but this semester I decided to take it off so I can work and get exotic pet insurance for Rosie before I take her to the vet for a check up. I want to know what might of caused this coloration and even though it's mostly gone should I still be worried about it? If it is something serious I'll talk to my parents and see if they'll take her for me since I can't yet afford it.

Comments for strange colored feathers

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 03, 2012
Thankyou
by: ashley

I will definitely have her screened for beak and feather, that's a horrible disease. I give her a very good misting every day, especially because it's winter and the heater really dries out the air. I'll skip those for a week and see if more feather dust appears. She definitely has some, but not nearly as much as the other galah's I have met.

Her wings had been way over clipped for sure, 13 feathers off each wing. she had been fully flighted(although only flew when spooked) and once flew out a open door but thankfully came straight back. My friend clipped her wings that same day. When she was given to me her finger feathers where coming back so I re-clipped those but had no control over how short they already are.

I'm not going to clip her anymore unless I feel it's absolutely necessary for her health. I'm following the birdtricks.com philosophy of keeping fully flighted trained birds, mostly for her health as a Galah because they are prone to obesity and often die younger from improper diet and lack of exercise.

Thank you so much for the great response :)

Feb 03, 2012
Morph Galah Wing Clip
by: The Avian Vet

I would also like to add that this bird has a very bad wing clip. Too much is clipped of. You need to clip only the outer 5 long wing feathers, and the feathers should be clipped shorter.

Dr B

Feb 03, 2012
Morph Galah Feathers
by: The Avian Vet

The yellowish discoloration is likely due to poor nutrition and poor lighting. Other causes include exposure to tobacco smoke, lack of regular bathing, petting with dirty hands, and even disease such as stress, feather fungal infection or liver disease, among others.

The diet you are feeding is a dramatic improvement. However, do not feed ZuPreem or other pellet that contains sugar (sucrose). Check the ingredients for sugar, and artificial flavors and preservatives. The best food to feed is organic Harrison's pellets. This should make up 80% of the diet; the remaining 20% can be any healthy treats such as fresh vegetables, nuts, table food etc.

What the feathers were like is important because it tells us that she was not cared for properly, but given that the feathers are improving means that you are feeding and caring for her better than before. We expect the feathers to continue to improve until she completes a couple of molts. However, I recommend that since she does show symptoms of systemic problems you need to take her to see an avian veterinarian for a complete work up.

It is NOT true that the different morphs have different amounts of dust. IF your bird has little or no dust, that makes me worry that she could be showing symptoms of Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD circovirus). She needs to be tested. The lack of dust can be related to nutrition and over bathing too. Mention this problem to your avian veterinarian so she can be screened for all of the potential causes.

You should take her to an avian vet as soon as you can. Find an Avian Vet

Dr B

Click here to add your own comments