Sudden unexpected Death

by Thomas Kirkpatrick
(Danville Il.61832)

My Sunday Conure was approximately 3 Years old and suddenly died. I suspect it was caused by Mr. Clean and Pinesol combination used to clean the floor in the same room as his cage. Also Carpet Cleaners cleaned carpet in adjoining rooms. Could any of this caused his sudden death. I would apprecite yor reponse as I would like to help prevent other Loving Parrott owners to avoid this terrible tragedy.

Thank You
Thomas Kirkpatrick

Comments for Sudden unexpected Death

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 10, 2009
Unexpected Death
by: Bill M

I am SO very sorry to hear of your loss!!! They are gifts to us, and when they pass, it is a tremendous loss!

Oct 27, 2009
So sorry your bird died
by: Reader

Sincerest condolences on losing your special bird, Thomas.

Yes, birds are extremely susceptible to many household dangers due to their small size, rapid metabolism, and sensitive respiratory systems. Parrots are intensely curious and like exploring everything with their beaks. Owners must be vigilant throughout the home:

1. Poisoning
Many substances injure or kill birds through eating or breathing. Most toxic: insecticides, ammonia, bleach, oven cleaner, glues, nail polish remover, paint, perfumes, heavy metals (e.g. lead and zinc), poisonous plants.

2. Non-Stick Coatings (when overheated)
This poison warrants special mention because use is common and when overly hot, can emit toxic fumes: non-stick cookware, waffle irons, bread machines, irons, ironing board covers, curling irons, space heaters, blow dryers.

3. Open Water
Toilets -- most common source area for your bird to fall in, drown. Others: sinks, bathtubs, buckets, cat/dog water bowls. Beware also hot pots of water on kitchen stove.

4. Inappropriate Foods
From unhealthy to lethal. Anything high in sugar or salt is bad, as are fatty foods. More serious is chocolate, toxic to many pets. Caffeinated or alcoholic beverages are also dangerous. Avocado should also be avoided (debatable but better safe than sorry).

5. Electrical Cords
Birds explore with beaks, and exposed electrical wires are a danger if bitten. Keep cords and appliances away from cage; conceal cords if possible. Covering with corrugated plastic tubing (from hardware stores) may reduce danger.

6. Poorly Made Toys
Even toys designed for parrots may not be safe. Make sure parrots (especially larger ones) are not able to break off, remove or swallow parts. Rope toys are dangerous if long enough to get tangled in; parrots might separate strands on braided ropes, insert heads, strangle.

7. Ceiling Fans
True danger to flighted birds. Birds tend to be nervous with things moving above them, so may be stressed out by a ceiling fan running near their cage.

8. Windows, Doors, and Mirrors
Birds can fly into them. Clipping wings helps, although even clipped birds can run at a reflection. Open windows and outer doors mean escape. Even inside doors are risky if bird likes to sit on top -- injured if closed.

9. Other Pets
While birds can live happily with other pets, owners must always be careful. Bird motions can attract cat/dog prey instinct; an infected bite or scratch can kill a bird.

10. Air Quality
Again, birds are very sensitive to air contaminants. Use NO aerosol around birds. Cigarette smoke can cause respiratory disease in pet birds. Carbon monoxide is also dangerous, so use a detector in the home, and don't run a vehicle in an attached garage.

Oct 27, 2009
Sudden death of Sun Conure
by: Tracie

Yes, it was probably the chemicals used in your house. Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems. I am sorry this happened and thanks for wanting to warn others.

Click here to add your own comments